Friday, August 23, 2024

book reviews

    Cleopatra and Frankenstein by Coco Mellors

⭐⭐⭐

Genre: Humor/ Urban fiction

My feelings about this book:

while I was in Texas at the beginning of august, I went to barnes and noble with my mom I walked in and felt at home and whole, it didn't take me long to find good books but it was hard to choose which one to buy I end up with 6 books in my arms I got rid of 3 it was soo painfull, But I was still satisfied, when reading this book I heard on tiktok that it was really good well I was hoping it was good. Its ok, thats why I gave it a 3 star its funny and vary relatible plus I like how it can be hard to be married and in relationships in general but I got bored in the end. But the way it was written is nice there are parts in the book were we see peoples out side perspective on the relationship between cleo and frank

Content warning: This novel includes discussions of drug abuse and death by suicide.

Summery:
Cleopatra and Frankenstein 
(2022) is Coco Mellors’s debut novel and is currently being adapted into a television series by Warner Bros, Inc. The novel explores modern love, the pressures and debauchery of the wealthy, and the conflict between youth and age. Written mostly in third person, Cleopatra and Frankenstein centers on 24-year-old Cleo and 45-year-old Frank, two broken people who find one another in a passionate and loving fling. With secondary characters to bring diverse perspectives to the novel’s central themes, Mellors creates a glittery Manhattan world that looks pretty but is rotting from the inside.

Thus spoke Zarathustra ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

By Friedrich Nietzsche

Genre: poetry, philosophical fiction

My feelings about this book:

This book has 4prts to it, I am wanting to go indepth on the book because I feel like you can't just read this book and give a small summary could just be me, this book really makes u think its my 1st philosophical book I have read, I have so much to say but I am going to save it for later, I will write about all 4prts separate from each other telling u what I learned and did or didn't like.

Summary
It tells the story of the prophet Zarathustra, who returns to civilization after ten years of solitude to share his teachings with others. He tells them about his theory of the heroic “Übermensch” and explores themes such as the death of God, the will to power, and the meaning of life.

A child called it by Dave pelzer 

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 

Genre: Memoir

My feelings on the book:

This book brought a lot of memories from when I was a child not the physical abuse but  verbal abuse and emotions from just people all around me. It opened my eyes to mental health. Dave's mom for years abused him for reasons we don't understand Dave does bring up a part on how she was depressed but some have also said it could be BPD, either way this book was good and brought tears to my eyes, I felt connected to Dave in the book and it brought me so many emotions.

 
Summary
 It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played tortuous, unpredictable games--games that left him nearly dead. I also want to go in depth with this one to.

Detransition baby by Torrey peters

Genre: 

I have not read it yet but when I do I will let you know how I like it. I got this book for my birthday from my dad so I'm vary excited for this book.

Summary
Detransition, Baby’ by Torrey Peters is a literary novel about a relationship between a transgender woman called Reese and a former transgender woman called Ames. The two have broken up from their lesbian relationship (ostensibly because Ames detransitioned), but neither of them has really moved on. When Ames accidentally impregnates his boss, (cis-gendered, mixed-race Katrina) he suggests the three of them can be unconventional co-parents. As the book goes back in time to Reese and Ames’s former relationship, recounting the reasons why they broke up, it hinges on the question of whether this idea for an unconventional family could actually work.

Page boy by elliot page

Genre: Memoir

I have read this before but I want to read it again to see if I still like it because its been awhile, I'll  let u know how I like it.

Summary
tells the heartwarming story of Elliot Page's journey towards self-discovery and gender identity. Here's why this book is definitely worth reading: With candid honesty, it explores the complexities of gender identity, offering a unique and important perspective on the subject.

Tender is the Flesh by Agustina Bazterrica

Genre: Distopian/ psychological fiction

I have not read this book, but I have heard its disturbing and good so can't wait to tell u how I like it

Summary
Tender is the Flesh is a dystopian novel by Agustina Bazterrica that was originally published in Spanish in 2017 and translated into English in 2020. The story takes place in a post-pandemic world where a virus has made all animal meat unsafe to eat, and the government permits the breeding and slaughtering of humans for consumptionThe novel follows Marcos, a manager at a meat processing plant, as he struggles to reconcile his humanity with his understanding of the law and the brutality of the process. 

Say nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe

Genre: True crime/ biography

Have not read this yet

Summary
Say Nothing  explores a shocking true story of murder during the Northern Ireland Conflict. These blinks are a compelling meditation on one of the darkest chapters of Irish history, and shine a light on some of the key figures in the conflict as well as the period's most notorious atrocities.

The escape artist by Jonathan freedland 

Genre: Biography

Summary
Jonathan Freedland tells the story of Rudolf Vrba, one of the first Jewish people to escape from Auschwitz, with a novelist's verve. Share this Article: As World War II recedes further into the past, Jonathan Freedland has revived one story from the Holocaust that's both historically significant and a riveting read.



No comments:

Post a Comment

book reviews

    Cleopatra and Frankenstein by Coco Mellors ⭐⭐⭐ Genre: Humor/ Urban fiction My feelings about this book: while I was in Texas at the begi...